First Special Service Force
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Son of William H Berndt Staff Sargent FSSF

Go down

Son of William H Berndt Staff Sargent FSSF Empty Son of William H Berndt Staff Sargent FSSF

Post  Brett Berndt Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:52 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Brett... My dad Bill enlisted in 1939 in the Army and then to the 82nd Airborne Division.

He trained and recorded many jumps and became a parachute "rigging" instructor, something the FSSF were looking for. He was at Fort Harrison the day it started...

He passed away in 1984. He was proud of his service and the friends he made with the unit. One time, as a young child I asked him if he ever had to kill anyone? All he said was, " It was either him or me "... I never asked again.

While in the Italian theater my dad said one morning three of his buddies borrowed a jeep and asked him to join them, he polity said, " No thanks, I'll walk today." A mile down the road, he found the jeep blown to pieces.

He enjoyed attending the reunions at least every three years or so and his last was in 1984 held on the 40th Anniversary of the Liberation of Rome. He and my mother made The trip to Europe, Moms first time. Something that he wanted to share with her. It was on his bucket list. 20 days after the trip the good Lord took him for ever.

The past two months, I've done a lot or research on the FSSF. The families need to pass the word to the other brothers, sisters, grandchildren and friends of our fathers.

Last edited by Brett Berndt on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong date)

Brett Berndt

Back to top Go down