First Special Service Force
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you remember Capt. Elden "Ed" Borders?

3 posters

Go down

Do you remember Capt. Elden "Ed" Borders? Empty Do you remember Capt. Elden "Ed" Borders?

Post  BLudington Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:20 pm

I am writing a book about Ed Borders who was an Alaskan pioneer and one of the original members of the FSSF. He was born in Hot Springs, MT, travelled to Alaska in '39, and then, in the winter of '41, hiked the 1500+ miles of the proposed length of the Alaskan Highway to prove a continuous route existed. He became quite famous for that expedition. He was drafted in '42, attended engineering school in Fort Benning GA, and became a Capt with the FSSF. He was there at Kiska and then went to Italy. There is some uncertainty as to where he was killed. I am not sure if he fell at Monte la Difensa or not. I care deeply about Ed's story and preserving his legacy, but I have very little information about him after he was drafted. If anyone on this forum remembers anything about him, I would love to hear it. No piece of information is too small.
Thank you.

BLudington

Back to top Go down

Do you remember Capt. Elden "Ed" Borders? Empty Ed Borders

Post  johnhart@telus.net Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Ed Borders was killed Dec 6 1943 and would have been a casualty of Difensa. I was interested in Ed Borders as well as I found a poem written about Ed by a fellow forcemen G.H. Baker 2-1 from my hometown of Dawson Creek which is mile 0 on the Alaska Highway.
John

johnhart@telus.net

Back to top Go down

Post  BLudington Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Hello John,
Thank you for your reply. I would love to see that poem if you still have it or, if not, hear what you remember of it. Are you by any chance in contact with the man who wrote it?
Thank you again,
Bryr Ludington

BLudington

Back to top Go down

Post  johnhart@telus.net Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:17 am

Sorry, I took so long to reply, I will send you the poem that I have and also G.H. Baker whom I gave searched for, for quite awhile ended up in a special needs facility in Pouce Coupe B.C. and he has since died.

johnhart@telus.net

Back to top Go down

Do you remember Capt. Elden "Ed" Borders? Empty Captain E Borders

Post  Eddie (ted) Morin Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:53 am

This response it bit late to your request but I just joined this Forum a couple of days ago. My father was a member of the First Service Force (3rd Company - 1st Regiment) and knew Captain Borders. My father spoke to Captain Borders the day before he was killed on Monte La Defensa and he said to my father "you get further on guts than you do on brawn".

I'm in the process of trying to locate anyone that knew my father (Eddie Morin).

Last edited by Eddie (ted) Morin on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)

Eddie (ted) Morin

Back to top Go down

Do you remember Capt. Elden "Ed" Borders? Empty Re: Do you remember Capt. Elden "Ed" Borders?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down