First Special Service Force
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grandson of Keith Humphrey

Go down

Grandson of Keith Humphrey Empty Grandson of Keith Humphrey

Post  ThunderBayGrandson Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Hello,

My name is Nathan, I am Keith Humphrey's Grandson and recently inherited some my Grandfathers possessions, mainly his WWII memorabilia. Keith was from North Western Ontario. Ignace/Kenora/Thunder Bay/Winnipeg area.

The Red Spear Head lead me to do some some basic research. The vague stories that Keith did share with me seem to line up with the FSSF actions of WWII.

I have the read Spear Head patch, a few patches with 3 stripes up and a "T", a red/white/blue shoulder braid, Canadian Paratrooper wings, a "South Saskatchewan" patch and various "Canada" patches.

My grandfather rarely if ever spoke about the war to his family. I believe he served with the FSSF for awhile, was wounded (he was missing fingers and his chest was full of scars) and then was put in with another group. I know he trained in Montana, told me a story about a "deserted Japanese island" and trained to blow up a dam(?) and ski to get away afterwards. I know he was in Italy and I have letters sent to my Grandmother sent from southern France written on the front lines. I also believe he was injured more than once. Again - this info is pieced together from sentences here and there throughout my childhood. He did not really speak of it.

I can't find his name among the list of names anywhere though. I believe this is because he was put in with a different group after he was wounded. I also know (was told) that he was a bit of a trouble maker and that's how he ended up in the FSSF, something about shooting out lights of tower during basic training.

My grandfather didn't make a fuss about his passing and didn't want a funeral. He had 3 daughters and a son and they went on to have 7 grand kids. I was lucky enough to be the grandkid that grew up in the same city and would like to think I was the closest to him. I'm not looking to make a big deal. I'd just like to know if anyone out there knew him, remembers him and could fill me in on a bit of history. I know that he gave up quite a bit of himself so that we all could live the way we live now and he went on to have a large and wonderful family. I'm the keeper of his history and looking to know a little more, thank you.

ThunderBayGrandson

Back to top Go down