First Special Service Force
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hello new here, looking for info on R.G. Essig

Go down

hello new here, looking for info on R.G. Essig Empty hello new here, looking for info on R.G. Essig

Post  Bill Essig Mon May 17, 2010 11:34 am

My Name is Bill Essig.

My uncle, Robert G. Essig, was an ordained Catholic priest and one of the two Chaplains with the 1st SSF.
I believe Rob went through full training in Montana, and saw service in Alaska, Italy, and southern France. Rob was finally sent to Norway with the 474th after Dec 14. 1944.
As with all soilders who served active duty on a combat front, Rob was generally silent about his war time experiences, and generally would only talk with other veterans and then not in any specific way. I do know that Rob attended several of the re-unions in Helena, the last being around 1990-94, not sure of the date.
Rob passed from this life on Nov. 19, 1996.
I am interested in finding anyone who can help "fill-in" the blanks in Rob's life that he did not share with his immediate family. If you know a living forcemen or have knowledge of photos, diary entries, stories or other material that may contain references to Robert Essig, the Chaplains or other Headquarters Company personell, I woud appreciate anyone contacting me directly, or, forwarding my info. on to others who may be of help.

Thanks
Bill Essig, Nephew of CPTN. Robert G. Essig (Chaplain), Headquarters Co., FSSF
email <buildersservices@att.net>
cell 510-418-6798

hello new here, looking for info on R.G. Essig Gallery
this image is posted on SPECIAL FORCES ROLL OF HONOR
http://www.specialforcesroh.com/gallery.php?action=view_image&id=8563

"left to right
Mr Getty Page (Northampton,Massachusetts) (ARC,Red Cross attached HQ Det FSSF)
Captain Robert G. Essig (Oakland,California) (Chaplain,HQ Det FSSF)
Lewis J. Merrim (Brooklyn,New York) (Force photographer,HQ Det FSSF)

Captain Essig was ordained as a Roman Catholic Priest in San Francisco and attended Harvard Chaplains' School.
Served with 474 Infantry Regiment 1945

photo taken in France 1945
courtesy of Robert's nephew Bill Essig of Oakland,California"[/quote]

Bill Essig

http://www.billessigbuilders.com

Back to top Go down