First Special Service Force
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bronze Star / Combat Infantryman Badge awarded to Canadian FSSF members?

3 posters

Go down

Bronze Star / Combat Infantryman Badge awarded to Canadian FSSF members? Empty Bronze Star / Combat Infantryman Badge awarded to Canadian FSSF members?

Post  ledfut Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi.

I am putting together a diplay for our family that will include some photos of my wife's grandfather as well as duplicates of the medals he earned (the original medals are in his son's possession). He was a Canadian who served with the FSSF force during the Second World War, but passed away in 1990.

My research has led me to discover that the US military authorized the awarding of the Combat Infantryman Badge to all surviving Canadian Force members in 2005, and authorized the awarding of the Bronze Star to all surviving Canadian Force members in 2006.

Were these awards only available to SURVIVING Canadian FSSF vets, or did this also include posthumous awards for deceased Canadian FSSF vets? Are these awards available to the families of deceased Canadian FSSF vets?

It would be nice to include copies of the U.S. medals with the display I am working on, but if they were in fact only issued to LIVING Canadian FSSF vets in 2005/2006, then they are medals which were never awarded to my wife's grandfather and which would be inappropriate for the display.

ledfut

Back to top Go down

Bronze Star / Combat Infantryman Badge awarded to Canadian FSSF members? Empty Re: Bronze Star / Combat Infantryman Badge awarded to Canadian FSSF members?

Post  racanichou Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:46 pm

After talking to Sam Magee (6-3) he confirmed to me that the bronze star that was issue in 2006 was ONLY for the surviving members. he trew a fit and sent his back to the president of the united states.

I don't think that you can receive the award on behalf of a Forceman but you can try.

racanichou

Back to top Go down

Bronze Star / Combat Infantryman Badge awarded to Canadian FSSF members? Empty Re: Bronze Star / Combat Infantryman Badge awarded to Canadian FSSF members?

Post  ledfut Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:59 pm

Thanks for the information. I respect and applaud Mr. Magee's reaction. I believe that the Bronze Star should have been awarded to ALL Canadians who fought with the FSSF. It should have been awarded posthumously to those who are no longer with us. They all earned the award.

In any case, I will not seek a Bronze Star to put in my wife's grandfather's display. He was not eligible for it (even if he deserved it), so it does not belong there.

ledfut

Back to top Go down

Bronze Star / Combat Infantryman Badge awarded to Canadian FSSF members? Empty CIB medal

Post  Brad Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:22 pm

Ledfut,

My father applied and we received the Combat Infantry Badge (CIB) after providing my grandfathers death certificate, he died back in '79.
Brad
Brad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down