First Special Service Force
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for someone in Helena/Great Falls

4 posters

Go down

Looking for someone in Helena/Great Falls Empty Looking for someone in Helena/Great Falls

Post  Sinclair Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:54 am

Hi, I'm traveling with my boyfriend to Helena to surprize him and would love to meet a veteran or anyone with knowledge about the Devil's Brigade. I believe his grandfather was one of the originals (last name Rice - I have no other info).

I have no idea where to start as far as finding info on Fort Harrison or if there is a museum. I do know that there is a plaque some where along the highway. We are travelling from Edmonton, Alberta and I would love to have an idea of what we should do once we get there.

If anyone is in the area (or anywhere within a days drive) I would love to be able to meet!

Thanks, Susan Sinclair

Sinclair

Back to top Go down

Looking for someone in Helena/Great Falls Empty Re: Looking for someone in Helena/Great Falls

Post  MHGoodwin Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:18 am

There are two places you REALLY need to go to. The memorial and Ft Harrison. I will send you the info in the morning when I am on my computer.

There are only a few vets left in Helena so don't expect to meet up with them but whoever is at the museum should be able to help you with info on the force.

When will you be there? I might be able to get someone there to meet you.
MHGoodwin
MHGoodwin
Admin

http://www.firstspecialserviceforce.net

Back to top Go down

Looking for someone in Helena/Great Falls Empty Re: Looking for someone in Helena/Great Falls

Post  MHGoodwin Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:17 pm

Here is a link to a page about the museum. PLEASE NOTE IT IS ONLY OPEN ON THURSDAY from 9-4.

http://www.montanaguard.com/museum/index.cfm

Here is the address for the memorial park in Helena, MT. That is where the FSSF Monument is located.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-23474815-memorial-park
MHGoodwin
MHGoodwin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Looking for someone in Helena/Great Falls Empty Thank you!

Post  Sinclair Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:56 pm

Knowing where the monument is and the museum is extremely helpful! Thanks! Susan

Sinclair

Back to top Go down

Post  Sinclair Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi again Eric,

We will be there June 24th and staying in the area until the 29th or 30th. Any help is appreciated!

My boyfriend Brad's grandfather's name is Harland Rice. Brad has no memories of his grandfather so this will be a special trip for us! I wish we could travel to the reunion in Halifax, but that's just too far.

I was looking at a rooster of men who served in the Devil's Brigade, but I could not find his name listed. Any idea where I can look? He was in the Canadian Armed Forces.

Thanks, Susan

Sinclair

Back to top Go down

Post  MHGoodwin Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:15 pm

Sinclair wrote:
My boyfriend Brad's grandfather's name is Harland Rice. Brad has no memories of his grandfather so this will be a special trip for us! I wish we could travel to the reunion in Halifax, but that's just too far.

I was looking at a rooster of men who served in the Devil's Brigade, but I could not find his name listed. Any idea where I can look? He was in the Canadian Armed Forces.

Next year the reunion will be in the US and possibly in Helena. So hopefully you can come to that.

H.U. Rice of Norton, New Brunswick is on the Official Roster found here http://www.firstspecialserviceforce.net/FSSF_Members_pg1.html

Click on the Roster and find pdf. His name os on page 22 of the pdf file. Or pg 364 of the Burhans book. It is on the right side of pg 364 5 names down.

Or look down and you will see that I made a jpeg of it for you.

Looking for someone in Helena/Great Falls Harlan10
MHGoodwin
MHGoodwin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Looking for someone in Helena/Great Falls Empty I should have looked closer!

Post  Sinclair Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks Eric,

I skimmed through it in the middle of night, I'm not sure how I missed his name!

I will definetly pass on this website to several of his family members. Brad Uncle has some amazing pictures. Harland did an amazing job of scrapbooking his service years!

I can't thank you enough! And if the reunion is in Montana next year we would love to be there!

Susan

Sinclair

Back to top Go down

Looking for someone in Helena/Great Falls Empty Thank you!

Post  Brad Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:08 pm

Thank you Susan, and thank you Eric for helping Susan with some of the details for our trip. It was amazing, simply amazing.

Hopefully I will be able to contribute some photos and information after talking with my uncle Vic, who is the eldest son of my Grandfather, and has Grandpa's scrap books and hopefully other memorabilia
Brad
Brad

Back to top Go down

Post  racanichou Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:20 pm

Brad,
I'm also in Edmonton, Although I have no one in my family that was in the FSSF, I'm huge in this unit history.

We could hook up sometime.

Jon,
Edmonton, Ab, Canada

racanichou

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down