First Special Service Force
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My uncle was Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944

5 posters

Go down

My uncle was Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944 Empty My uncle was Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944

Post  pvt_moore Tue May 11, 2010 2:06 pm

My uncle was Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944 by "friendly fire" on the road from Anzio to Valmontone. I am looking for anyone who knew anything about him or may have a photo or other info that they could share.

I found beautiful page of photos of the Beach Head Cemetery in Anzio
( http://www.fullposter.com/blog.php?id=1&topic=29 ) and it shows the graves of:

MITCHELL, Private, ERNEST VERNON, B/63763
1st Canadian Special Service Bn., R.C.I.C
29th May 1944, Age 21.
Son of E. Mitchell and Annie Mitchell;
of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
resting on Row XVII A 11
MOORE, Private, DONALD HAKEN, B/136858
1st Canadian Special Service Bn., R.C.I.C
28 May 1944, Age 20.
Son of Arthur Emslie Moore and Anne Marjorie Moore;
of Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
resting on Row XVII A 12

I haven't been able to get my head around the organization of the FSSF yet. I'm wondering how big (5-2) was and how much interaction there was between the units? What is the likelihood that my uncle Donald Moore could have been photographed with someone from other units or someone from another unit might have info. Did the units get formed during training, or afterwards? This is the type of info that isn't really documented in the sources I've seen.

Also is there a database that lists the members of the force that would make it easy to compile a list of the members of the (5-2) so I could search for other names of people within the unit?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Barry Moore

P.S.: I might possibly have some letters (I know I have the letter to my Grandfather conveying the news of his death, I don't know if this type of thing is of any interest to anyone other than myself, but if it is, I would be happy to scan and post it - just let me know what I need to do.

pvt_moore

Back to top Go down

My uncle was Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944 Empty Re: My uncle was Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944

Post  oshistory Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:59 am

Hi Barry,
Are you still checking this forum? I think we may have some information for you. Please send a reply. Are you in Owen Sound or area?

oshistory

Back to top Go down

My uncle was Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944 Empty Re: My uncle was Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944

Post  pvt_moore Mon May 20, 2013 12:42 am

Hi oshistory:

Thanks for the reply, sorry for taking so long to reply, things have been very busy personally and professionally. I'm still eager to find out anything I can about Donald & the FSSF.

I'm just north of Toronto, my last contact with Owen Sound was about 3 years ago just before my father (Donald's Brother) passed away.

pvt_moore

Back to top Go down

My uncle was Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944 Empty Letters about Your Uncle

Post  TFDagger Thu May 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi Barry,
I'm new to the forum and want to pass on my condolences on the passing of your father; I for one would like to see any letters that your family may have received from your uncle PVT Haken, official notification concerning his death or from other members who served with Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944 by "friendly fire". A lot of times family members have letter from long ago put away concerning these sad events and their family and friends come across them or their discussion about the loss prompt the family member to dig out this old stuff. Letters and manuscripts are a vital piece of developing fist person story's which I find the most meaningful. So when you have a chance I look forward to seeing what you have.
Cheers,
John
TFDagger
TFDagger

Back to top Go down

My uncle was Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944 Empty How do you connect to FSSF?

Post  pvt_moore Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi John

How do you tie into FSSF? Are you a relative of someone who served?

Thanks for the sentiment. How do I post documents? I don't see any way to attach files?

I have 3 pieces of correspondence which I will rather flippantly summarize:
1. A telegram: condolences ser# Rank Misspelled name KIA
2. A "form letter" (i.e. standard BS, but typed out, not mimeographed) "Feel good stuff about bravery, sacrifice, etc."
3. A friendlier "form letter" hand written from the Red Cross.

I'm not sure that the military admitted the friendly fire. I think the letters were just the routine processing of the many dead. I don't know if the people writing the letters even had any info other than what they copied off I think that my father or grandfather did some networking (which wasn't easy in those days) and got a bit of info. From what I remember hearing, it was shrapnel from a hand grenade blast.

If there is a way of posting the letters, I'm happy to do so.

Cheers.... Barry

pvt_moore

Back to top Go down

Post  pylon1357 Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Have you a copy of his service records?? I have found much information contained in the service records. My interest in the 1SSF revolves around SSgt Alvin Neil, DOW after  Blue on Blue incident. His family and mine were closely connected through the years.

pylon1357

Back to top Go down

My uncle was Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944 Empty My Ties to FSSF

Post  TFDagger Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Berry et al,
I have joined the forum for two reasons: I am a retired SF Soldier who spent 26 of his 30 years in SF,  I am also a history buff and though I have often studied the men who blazed the path of my service to my country, the ideals outlined in my nations founding documents, and the motto of my chosen profession "De Oppresso Liber" translated "To Free The Oppressed". Due to my service I have had very little interaction with veterans of the 1SSF because I was deployed or stationed overseas when they still had reunions and, now of on many of which are no longer with us. So I joined this forum to hopefully learn more of the 1st person accounts that have been passed down to family members or people who grew up living near these veterans or the fortunate amateur historians who have interacted with the veterans. 
I go by TF Dagger because I was serving in 5th SFG(A) when they used the unit identification of Task Force Dagger during OIF and OEF campaigns after 9/11. The unit insignia of TF Dagger had a V-42 Knife in it its design; that knife was my V-42 that I purchased prior to Desert Shield, was made by Sheffield Arms, and carried by me during my deployment to Desert Shield, Desert Storm, in Bosnia, during the Kosovo air and ground with TF Noble Anvil and OEF & OIF.

About the letters being some thing less than personal; we in this age of technology and instant communication look back rather jadedly at the past and do not consider the circumstances of the times. The number of those service men Killed, Wounded, Injured, Missing, unaccounted, die of wounds daily where in a far great in number then many nations lost in all of Operation Enduring Freedom & Operation Iraqi Freedom. This is not meant to any way diminish the loss of a single soldier than or now, because each loss is a significant event to the loved ones of the soldiers and their comrades. In WW2 long after the death of a soldier, months or years,  the family may have received a letter or visit from his commander or comrades telling them about the circumstances of the death of their loved one or the times shared with them. Many times as often as not because they commander or comrades were also dead, gravely wounded or missing. That is why it is of interest to me to read about these deaths or see pictures of the soldiers both those who died and survived because their service and sacrifices were no less traumatic than then they are today.  Even when a soldier is accidentally killed by friendly fire, accident, blue on blue, or green on blue it is still a loss for the people and nation and the price that is too often played out on the messy and crazy battlefield no matter how technically savvy a nation things go wrong in war and good people die needlessly. It is no less or grater a loss for the all who knew the solider, sailor, marine or airman.

Today I just attended the memorial service for a young soldier, WO1 Sean Mullen from my former unit. The tribute that the conducted was a very fitting  for him because of the technology at our disposal today, words of sorrow and condolences from commanders and soldiers still it the fight were passed on to the family at the service. But these statements no matter how fitting still cannot fill the gap in the lives of the people who knew and loved him they can only affirm that we was respected and missed by his leaders and those served along side of him. 

What I'm trying to say is that it is important that those in the past who have given their all their futures for our present freedoms must never  be forgotten because the loss that was incurred by family, friends, comrades and their nation is still a loss for all. Even when the words seem trite, are misspelled,  in a form or generic letter, or do not reveal all the fact concerning the death of a loved one it is still an expression of grief and sense of loss  for a country and culture when a single man or woman gives all their life blood for the liberties that are often take for granted.
STRENGTH AND HONOR
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
John aka TFDagger
TFDagger
TFDagger

Back to top Go down

My uncle was Pvt Donald Haken Moore (5-2) KIA May 28, 1944 Empty May 29, 1944

Post  Dave1212 Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:41 pm

Very interesting subject. My uncle S/Sgt Daniel Serrick (2-1) was KIA May, 29, 1944. Dannie was 23 years old & he too is buried at Anzio Beachhead War Cemetery (XVII.A.3). After the war Dannie's best friend in The Force Gerry Rusconi (2-1) told the family that Dannie had died as a result of 'friendly fire'. The group of men Dannie was with 'overshot' their objective & ended up being shelled by American Artillery. They knew what Dannie signed up for when he joined the FSSF but all the family really cared about was that a fine young man would not be coming home.

Posthumously awarded the Silver Star (for action dated April 23, 1944) the citation states 'During subsequent operations in Italy Staff Sergeant Serrick was killed as a result of enemy actions.' The original telegram & Gerry's letter to the family no longer exist however my aunt (who passed away in 2012) clearly remembered the telegram being of the standard variety of the day ' We regret to inform you...' - nothing specific to the event other than his death.

I have had the pleasure of talking with Gerry on the phone several times & while still mourning the loss of his good friend, the subject of friendly fire was best summed up by Gerry (himself wounded five times) when he said 'You never know what's coming at you in the confusion of battle.

Not sure myself how to attach a file but here is a link featuring more on Dannie:
http://www.firstspecialserviceforce.net/DSerrick.html

Wish I had more to offer regarding the other soldiers mentioned here.

Dave
Dave1212
Dave1212

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down